menu

Why Should Anyone Pay For Sports Picks? 2,383 views

Why should you or anyone pay for sports picks? Let’s take a look at that, it is no different than paying a consultant for helping you pick stocks, real estate, or any other financial endeavor. Getting advice from someone who knows the industry can always be an advantage if the information is used correctly.

As far as picking a sports service there are some things I would recommend and some things I would definitely avoid. Be careful of the so called guarantees. If they guarantee their service by stating if they lose they will give you more picks for free you should be wary. Getting more losing picks doesn’t sound like a good guarantee to me.

I also only recommend purchasing packages of picks that give you several days, a week, or a month of all the services picks. Betting on sports is not a get rich quick scheme, it is a long-term investment strategy that should lead to profit! Charging for each game is asking for fraud and a skewed if not fraudulent record. By getting a sports handicapper’s complete list of picks you will have more plays and a better chance of achieving a profit. No one can pick one hundred percent winners.

A good way to test a service is to see if they post free picks or are monitored by a reputable monitoring service like Pick Monitor. Follow their record for a while and see how they do. Beware all betting tracking websites are NOT created equally. One way to check monitoring services is to see if they post all of handicapper’s plays after the games they pick start and let you have access!

I’ll never forget a while back I saw the same service advertise every Monday night football game of the season as their 10 star play of the year. They did this every Monday night! The bottom line is you should look for something that is affordable, from someone who doesn’t give you a lot of exaggerated hype. And does not constantly try to up sell you with their overwhelming services that are available. Look for someone who does not promise you the moon, but does offer you a wining record with a simple affordable package that meets your budget requirements.

Of course I recommend you check out the handicappers here on Pick Monitor and see if there is one (or more) you are comfortable with. You can check their record and actually see how good they are at picking winners. You can even search handicapper’s records by sport, time periods, number of games picked, winning percentage, etc…

Edited 6/20/12 at 4:33PM by Patrick - No reason listed.

Great post KTM. There has been so many Bad Apples in this industry over the years that it is hard for people to know who to trust. That is why sites like Pickmonitor are a great service for bettors new and old to help them find an Honest, Hardworking, and Winning Handicapper.
I agree with you KTM. In honesty, I realized that handicapping is a serious job and it takes a lot of time like any other full time job. I work as an analyst at an investment firm, so I realized that I don't have the adequate time or necessary time to handicap and find the correct resources to place the bets for myself. But I believe that sports betting is a long term but effective way to grow your net income. In these kinds of situations, a place like pickmonitor is truly amazing.
great post,, i will also add that follow a one capper for each sport,, very rare to see the same service to excell at several sports!!!

GREAT POST. I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!
Why pay for picks if you can get them for free? i know at least 3 websites to get free quality picks

Fair enough "Sports" if you can afford free, and are comfortable with those picks then you would be following my advice. I wish you luck...
why pay for sports picks if you can get them free?

unless you are betting very low amounts just for fun, the amount you end up paying for picks is essentially inconsequential when you calculate the difference in profit between great picks you can buy and free picks you can get online(which may look good but once you start betting them not be). Let me give you a parallel in real life sports, why do sports players pay money to agents when they can get signed to a team for free(they are good players after all and someone will give them lots of money). The difference in money that a player will get with an agent will be far greater than what they would pay the agent so it is "worth it".
slickfox007 said:
why pay for sports picks if you can get them free?

Very nice comparison Slick.

Sports said:

I would be grateful if you would that information about these sites shared with us. Thank you in advance.

Why pay for picks? Well some peoples picks are FREE for a reason, bottom line is you get what you pay for. Don't expect to get good results getting something for free, that's the way I look at it. I lost a few clients cause guys wanted things for FREE, well now their bankrolls are gone. You won't go to a dealership and buy a 3 thousand dollar car and expect to get leather and a navigation system come with it will you? That's all I'm saying

i believe 30 days is enough time to judge a capper on success. short term winning and losing streaks are evitable in this business. a believer that if free picks lose so will the premium ones.
winners4u2 said:

I think 30 days could be a good indicator, but I think it largely depends on factors external to the record. If someone is in here bragging about how they are a gift from heaven, you've got to assume they got their record via luck (variance). On the flip side, if someone is writing helpful articles, showing a clear understanding of mathematical principles, etc, then it's a safe bet that his record is reflective of his long term potential.

99% of the time I can tell whether a handicapper will be positive long term or not just based on the things he says in the forum. In fact, there have only been two handicappers thus far where I've guessed wrong. This is why I have tried so hard to emphasize how extremely important it is to evaluate a handicapper far beyond just his record.

Patrick said:

30 days is a postage stamp of time. Handicapping an entire season of MLB tells you something

Doing 2 or 3 seasons tells you more. Of any sport. Gambling is all about track records. The longer

the record, the more you know about your own or anybody elses abilities. If you have an edge (and

94% don't) it will manifest itself over time. 30 days is a start.

OvertheUnder said:
Patrick said:

94% don't) it will manifest itself over time. 30 days is a start.

I agree, 30 days is just a start. Hopefully 30 days would reflect a decent sample size that could accurately be extrapolated to give you a sense of how talented of a capper you are analyzing. However, everyone in this business has had 30 day hot streaks and 30 day cold streaks. Even 1 season is sometimes not enough as I have seen cappers crush a sport one season only to give most of it back the next. I believe 3 seasons gives you a very accurate picture of whether or not a capper will consistently win over the long haul.

ExpertCapper said:

The problem with handicapping is, it moves at glacial

speed. If you make 300 picks during a baseball season,

that sounds like a lot, but its not. If you were playing roulette

in a casino, you could make 300 bets in 6 hours. Would

that tell you how good your system is, or if its good long

term? Hardly. You have to make thousands upon thousands

of bets to get any good information. The same has to be

true in handicapping. Look at all the so-called long term

'experts' and study their history. They're lucky if they do

50% long term, so they always point to some award they

won in 1995 or 2005 for having a really good season at

hockey or something. What they're saying is, latch onto

me, I might get lucky again, because I sure don't know

what I'm doing the rest of the time.

I feel another important attribute of a handicapper is release time. If a capper is releasing a significant portion of their picks 10 minutes before game time chances are you will not be getting all of your bets placed in time. If you are not betting every pick a capper releases then you have just introduced an additional factor into the equation and their record will not reflect the bets you've actually been able to place.
Brian, I never thought of that. If and when I ever buy sports picks, I would need those picks as early as possible for many reasons. I would need plenty of time to find the best money line or spread I could get. I would expect to have a higher ROI at the end of the season than the capper I'm buying picks from.

Please Login or Register to reply.

Ready to start winning?

Yes, Sign me up now No, show me the handicappers first